The school encourages all its students to be regular and punctual for their daily classes. Please note the attendance requirement and leave application guidelines as mentioned below:
- All students on a Student Pass (irrespective of the classes they are studying in) should have a minimum attendance of 90% per month.
- All non-Student Pass holders from Class 6 onwards should have a minimum attendance of 85% per semester.
- All non-Student Pass holders from Kindergarten up to Class 5 should have a minimum attendance of 75% per semester (can be relaxed at the discretion of the Principal).
- Immigration and Checkpoints Authority of Singapore (ICA) will be notified by the school whenever a student on Student Pass is absent continuously for more than seven (7) days or if the monthly attendance is less than 90% without a valid reason.
- Students on a Student Pass must submit a valid medical certificate to their class teacher, whenever absent on medical grounds.
Guidelines regarding communication of leave of absence for the student:
- A leave request for the ward(s) should be made by the parent to the class teacher via e-mail. If the duration of leave exceeds two (2) days, the parent is required to e-mail the School Principal.
- A handwritten letter can also be sent to the class teacher, giving details of reasons and the specific dates for which leave is sought.
- Diary note for absence will not be accepted, as it cannot be filed with the leave records by the class teacher.
- Phone calls will not be accepted for leave requests.
Please note that as per regulatory requirements, failure to comply with 90% attendance prerequisite and continuous absence of seven (7) or more days without a valid reason by students on Student Pass may lead to cancellation of their Student Pass by the ICA , as the school will be regularly reporting attendance details to ICA.
Application and Renewal of Student Pass
For those students who do not hold a Dependant Pass and are not Permanent Residents of Singapore, and wish to apply for a Student Pass, GIIS will assist students in their application. The Student Pass is issued by the Immigration and Checkpoint Authority (ICA), Singapore.
Please note that it is the responsibility of the parent to contact the school prior to expiry of the Student Pass in order to apply for a renewal. Parents are required to contact the Admissions Department to request for a renewal.